Graduation Hats

Browse our full range of Graduation Hats, Caps and Mortarboards

The Headpiece to Remember.

Our Graduation Hats and Mortarboards are perfect for all graduation ceremonies, whether you have just completed your early years of education or if you have worked for many years to achieve your PhD or Doctorate! The throwing of the mortarboard graduation cap is the perfect photo, and our quality graduation caps fit the bill perfectly.

Explore our range of Graduations Caps, Mortarboards, John Knox Caps and Doctoral Tams and get yours now!

The History of Graduation Hats

Graduation hats started becoming more used in the 12th and 13th centuries, this was because professors were typically priests or monks and wore robes when teaching, and this dress sense influenced the creation of the academic headwear we recognise today.

Today, Graduation Caps and gowns have kept that traditional look that they once had in the 12th and 13th centuries, you can still recognise them while the graduates as they walk across the stage at university graduations.

How to Measure Graduation Hat Size?

The correct way to measure your graduation hat is to measure the circumference of your head in centimetres and then the hat should sit between 1-2cm above your ears for example if your head circumference is equal to 56 cm then the Graduation Hat size is 56. Want to know more, find out about the history of the graduation hat

Explore our range of Graduation Hoods, Gowns, and Graduation Gifts, or get the complete Graduation Set.

Types of Graduation Hats

There are several different types of graduation hats depending on what level you are graduating at. The classic mortarboard cap is the go-to hat for graduates of bachelor degrees while the graduation tam, also known as the Tudor bonnet, is used for graduates from Masters and Doctorates. The doctoral tam can also come in an American style and the John Knox soft cap is often popular in Scottish universities.

Graduation Hats F.A.Q's

What is a graduation hat called? +

The graduate hat (also known as an academic cap, graduate cap, mortarboard, or trencher) is part of the formal academic attire to be worn by graduating students (graduands) during the graduation ceremony.

What is a PhD graduation hat called? +

When you are graduating with a PhD, the cap you wear can vary from a typical tudor bonnet all the way to a doctoral tam. These special caps are reserved for PhD and doctorate recipients only. During the graduation ceremony, it is also worn by professors and academic officials in the procession. Typically, the tudor bonnet and academic tam are made with velvet material. The tudor bonnet is made in a circular design whereas the graduation tam is made in a hexagonal or octagonal shape.

How are graduation hats worn? +

The pointed tip of your cap is meant to go in the front of your head while the elastic band sit on the back of your head. The cap should be worn flat on your head and not tilted back and it should lie about one inch above your eyebrows.

How do I put the tassel on my graduation cap? +

Typically, your tassel will arrive attached to your mortarboard cap. If you have purchased a tassel separately then please follow the next steps. Remove your tassel from its delivery protective sleeve. Hold it up and check for any tangled strands. Slide the loop at the top of the tassel onto the button at the centre of the top of your graduation hat. Tug gently on the tassel to make sure it's firmly seated under the button. Arrange your tassel so it drapes over the right side of your graduation hat while you're wearing it. Once you have graduated, you can then move your tassel to the left-hand side of your cap. 

For more information on Graduation Hats and how to wear them visit